In some cases, you may exchange your foreign driver’s license into a Dutch driver’s license . Below you can read wich conditions you have to meet. In all cases, you must be registrated in the basic registration of people (BRP). Also you must have a valid residence permit.

Is your driving license issued in a country of the European Union (EU) or European Free Trade Association (EFTA)? Then you can exchange our license into  a Dutch license.
Your European driving license may be expired. You need to send a statement of the issuing authority that it has no objection for them to  issue of a Dutch driving license for you..

For some non-European countries, you can also exchange your foreign license ,  only if it’s valid for a specific category.

To exchange your non-European driver’s license it must be valid at the time of request. Also, your foreign driver’s license must be issued in a period of a year in which you at least stayed in that country 185 days. Supporting documents for proof can be:

• copies of your Passport (including blank pages);
• Airline tickets;
• Employer’s certificate;
• Salary-or tax documents.

If your foreign driver’s license is an extension of an earlier driver’s license from the same country, you need to send a piece of evidence proving this.

Exchange your foreign license at your municipality

To exchange your driver’s license you must go to the municipality where you are registered. The municipality forwards the request to the RDW.


If exchange is nog possible, then you need to follow the normal procedure for a driver’s license. You must attend a  theory and practical exam at the CBR.

Check here for the list of countries eligible for exchange

Overview of countries within the European Union (EU)

  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Cyprus
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • Germany
  • France
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Croatia
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Austria
  • Romania
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Czech Republic
  • United Kingdom
  • Sweden

Overview countries outside the EU and EFTA





Andorra Passenger car ​Dutch license  category B
Aruba​ ​All categories
​Canada province Québec ​Class 5 ​​Dutch license  category B
​Israël ​B ​Passenger car Dutch license  category B​
​Japan ​1B ​Passenger car and motorbike more than 400 cm3 ​Dutch license  categories A and B​
​Jersey ​All categories
​Man ​All categories
​Monaco ​All categories
​Singapore ​Class 2 ​motorbike more than 400 cm3 en Class 3 – Passenger car ​Dutch license  categories A and B​
​Taiwan ​B ​Passenger car ​Dutch license  category B​

Dutch Antilles
​​All categories
​South-Korea ​second class ordinary licence ​​Dutch license  category B